West Hollywood Luxury Real Estate and West Hollywood Homes for Sale
West Hollywood, a city of Los Angeles County, California, was incorporated on November 29, 1984, with a 2007 residential population estimate of 34,675. 41% of the city’s population is made up of gay men according to a 2002 demographic analysis by Sara Kocher Consulting for the City of West Hollywood. West Hollywood and the neighboring city of Beverly Hills are together entirely surrounded by the city of Los Angeles.
Alta Loma Road is home to the exclusive hotel “The Sunset Marquis” with its famous 45-person Whisky Bar and a recording studio that has been home to many hits. Alta Loma Road was one of the main locations for the film Perfect. Actor Sal Mineo lived on this street in the 1970s; he was murdered in his carport just around the corner from Alta Loma Road on Holloway Drive.
The western stretch of Melrose Avenue, between Fairfax Avenue and Doheny Drive, is notable for its trendy clothing boutiques, interior design shops, restaurants and antique stores. The west end of Melrose Avenue, near the Pacific Design Center, is especially known for its exclusive furniture.
The area around Fountain Avenue, Harper Avenue and Havenhurst Drive contains a high concentration of landmark 1920s Spanish Revival and Art Deco apartment buildings by such noted architects as Leland Bryant. This historic district has been home to many celebrities and at one time the Sunset Tower at 8358 Sunset Boulevard was home to Frank Sinatra, Errol Flynn, the Gabor Sisters, John Wayne and Howard Hughes.
Notable business and attractions in West Hollywood include:
- The famous Sunset Strip
- Hotels such as Chateau Marmont, Andaz West Hollywood, Mondrian and the Standard
- The Pacific Design Center
- Elegant architecture such as The Schindler House by the architect Rudolf Schindler
- Music venues such as House of Blues, Whisky a Go Go, The Troubadour, The Roxy Theatre and Viper Room
- Westlake Recording Studios, where Michael Jackson recorded the albums “Thriller” and “Bad” in 1982 and 1987 respectively
- Celebrity hangouts such as Formosa Cafe, Whisky Bar, Rainbow Bar and Grill, Palm Restaurant.
- Film, television and music production including Samuel Goldwyn Studios, Smashbox Studios and TMZ on TV
- Several parks including Plummer Park
- Comedy Store
- Tail o’ the Pup